Hardboard or “Masonite,” as most people call it, was a type of siding developed as an alternative to either real wood or vinyl siding. Masonite was one of many companies that produced hardboard siding. It was made from a mixture of wood chips and resin, and it looked more like natural wood than vinyl. It was "supposed" to be lower maintenance than its counterparts and last longer; however, time showed that this product was not living up to its hype. After about 20 years and class-action lawsuits, it is no longer manufactured.
So, now that Hardboard siding is discontinued, what do you do?
Small Spot Repair
Not to worry! While there is not always a one-for-one replacement option, here are strategies you can use to fix your siding problems.
- Some siding patterns can be matched. So, you might be lucky enough to have a small repair option.
- You can always replace a section at a time. There is nothing wrong with spreading the project out to make it easier to afford. I can't tell you how many clients have replaced their chimney siding with Hardie without replacing the rest of the house. Once it’s painted, it really looks great.
- Seal and paint for now. It's not a very pretty option but, let’s face it, sometimes we need to focus on stopping the leaks and damage in the short term to allow time to gather our budget for a better replacement option.
We're the siding repair experts in Birmingham, AL. Get a fast and easy quote for your siding repair today! Dial (205) 358-4963
Beautiful Spot Repair:
Here are some additional replacement options for you to consider:
James Hardie Siding:
- Concrete fiberboard is an excellent option to replace dated or rotten hardboard siding. Concrete fiberboard is a super-durable siding that looks amazing, is long-lasting, and comes with a great warranty. It is made of cement, sand, and cellulose fibers combined to create the ideal material to protect and beautify homes.
- Hardie Board is also economical, and right now, it's one of the most affordable options.
- There are many styles to choose from, including; Lap, Shake, and Vertical panels.
- If you are looking to sell your house in the near future, it's a desirable choice for home buyers.
We're not just Birmingham's top siding replacement contractors. We're also your neighbors and we care about the quality of your home. If you don't know who to trust, trust in us. Call (205) 358-4963 or contact us if you need help with you home exterior.
Traditional T1-11 Plywood:
- T1-11 Plywood is a low-cost option that is not vinyl siding
- It has a solid, strong, quality look.
- T1-11 Plywood holds paint very well, and when quality paint is used and maintained, it can last 30 or more years
- It is fast to install and gives a traditional look to the exterior of your home
- Versetta is a panelized stone system, installed like siding but without the mortar, mason, or mess of traditional stone.
- Versetta Stone is a premium option.
- It is a beautiful, modern, and luxurious look for the exterior of your home.
- It can provide a fantastic accent to your home when used to highlight features like a chimney or the front section of your home.
Home Repair Service is trusted by Versetta as a preferred installer. We'll make sure your home get the care and attention it deserves. Click or call (205) 358-4963 if you're in need of a simple quote for your home exterior project
The collapse of the hardboard siding industry has left a large hole in the siding market, but there are many economical and beautiful options to choose from. If you are unsure of what is best for your home, call us today, and we can walk you through all the options.
With over 40 years in the industry, we know what to do, how to do it, and what it will take to get it done.
Give us a call today at (205) 358-4963 or contact us online!